Friday, December 16, 2011

Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes!

Hi everyone!
Ahhh, my first morning of Christmas break. Do you know how good it feels to sleep in, no horrible alarm clocks, no morning rush? I wake up to the sound of my parents laughter, and walk out of my room to my mom handing me my favorite hazelnut cream coffee. And I look over to my dad, and he is making what you see above. Coffee forgotten, I think I stared in awe at these pancakes for a solid 7 minutes. Nothing can describe that heavenly smell. (I think I just described it though..didn't I?..) Anyways, this photo isn't mine, but if you follow the recipe it should look just like it! The berries are optional, I ate mine without. The biggest miracle of all though? It tasted just like the muffin. I know, it blew my mind too. Nothing like quiet, happy mornings when your dad helps you flip the perfect pancake. (although even since I was little, I could never flip mine as well as he could.) So here is the awesome recipe to these pancakes, and I hope they bring you as many memories as they did to me!

Ingredients:
-2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- zest of 4 lemons
-2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 2 tbsp butter, melted


Directions:
1. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, & salt in a large bowl. 
In another bowl, add the buttermilk, eggs, butter, lemon zest, and poppy seeds. Add the wet mix to the dry mix. Stir all ingredients until they are just combined. Don't worry if the batter is lumpy, you don't want to over mix it! 
2. Heat skillet, pan, or griddle to medium/high heat, and brush it with a bit of butter. Pour about 1/3 of the batter into the skillet, and wait until pancake bottom is a deep golden brown before flipping over with a spatula. Cook until the other side is golden and cooked through. Repeat with the rest of the batter.
*Healthy optional tip* I know i've posted this before on another pancake recipe, but ill say it again! Wanna save yourself some sugary calories at breakfast? Don't dump endless amounts of syrup on your pancakes. It seeps into the pancake, making it look like you need to keep adding more, although you actually already have plenty. What I do is, I pour some syrup into a little side dish/bowl, and dip my pancake in it with a fork. I get the same (if not better taste) without a syrupy drenched pancake! Hope this helped :)*


Hope you enjoy guys, I'm finding tons of fun, festive, holiday recipes that I can't wait to try out/personalize and show you! Perfect for parties or just family gatherings :)
And the Christmas countdown begins...9 DAYS!!
Look out for my next post~
Rachel

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment