Monday, January 23, 2012

Buttermilk Chocolate Chip Scones!

I know what you might be thinking readers. 
Or maybe, just maybe, I know what your doing too. Drooling? Did I get it right? Because I know I am. I present to you bloggers, the healthy chocolate chip scone. Yes, you heard me.

Impossible! you may be thinking. (wow I am getting really good at reading your mind) But have no fear, I was once in your shoes. But alas, it is true, these scones are so healthy you could eat them for breakfast. which in my case, I can cross that one off my bucket list.
*disclaimer* as you see by the photo this recipe was not created by me, but by a lovely woman who blogs on skinnytaste.com (so go check her out!!!) it changes you, guaranteed.

prepare to have a scone that seems so sinful, but it isn't at all! Get ready, you're world is about to be rocked.

Ingredients:-
     -3/4 cup cold buttermilk
     -1/4 cup sugar
     -2 tsp vanilla extract
     -1 large egg
     -1 cup all purpose flour ( She recommended Bob's Red Mill)
     -1 cup white whole wheat flour 
     -1 tbsp baking powder
     -1/2 tsp salt
     -3 tbsp chilled butter (must be cold) cut up into small pieces
     -3/4 cup chocolate chips
     -1 large egg white, lightly beaten
     -1 1/2 tbsp sugar


Directions:
- preheat oven to 375°. Combine the first four ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Then spray baking sheet with cooking spray.
- combine flour, baking powder, salt, in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Cut in chilled butter with a pastry blender, or you could use 2 knives, until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Gently fold in the chocolate chips. Then you add the milk mixture, stirring up until it is moist.
-place dough onto a floured surface and knead lightly four times with floured hands. Form the dough into an 9-inch circle onto baking sheet, about 3/4" thick. Using a knife, you then cut dough into 12 wedges all the way through.


Nutritional info!
servings: 12
serving size: 1 scone
calories: 199.6
fat: 8
protein: 4
carb: 30
fiber: 2.3
sugar: 12.8
sodium: 257.4
old points: 4 pts
points plus: 5 pts


I don't understand why some of you are still sitting down. If you are at home, there I just gave you the recipe. now go make it!! And your future breakfast/dessert/snacks will never be viewed the same way. Healthy desserts, who woulda thought.
Have an incredible week this week ya'll, thanks for reading!
more to come,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment